The Amathole Museum has its origins in the King William's Town Naturalist Society founded in 1884. The Society's collections quickly outgrew temporary accommodation in the Council Chambers and Public Library.
From these small beginnings, the museum grew. It is the major attraction for visitors to King William's Town and also serves the local community.
The original museum building today forms the eastern wing of the Amathole Museum complex. It was officially opened to the public in October 1898 as The Museum of Natural History. A major extension to the building, linking it to the Public Library, was completed in 1953. The Wesleyan Church, and Post Office buildings were incorporated in the early 1980's to house the growing museum.
|Land Line:||+27 43 642 4506|
|Address:||Corners of Albert and Alexandra Road, King William's T|