Tourists should note:
- The South African electricity supply is 220/230 volts AC 50 HZ.
- Most plugs are 15 amp 3-prong or 5 amp 2-prong (in both cases with round pins).
- If an adaptor is called for, consider bringing one with you, although they can be purchased locally.
- Adapter plugs and transformers can be found in many luggage shops or Automobile Associations outlets in South Africa. Appliances made in the United States may need a transformer.
- Most hotel rooms have 110 volt outlets for electric shavers and appliances.
- Generally, the 110V video chargers work safely on the 220V supply. Electricity is available almost everywhere in South Africa. Most of the towns in the Eastern Capes province do have electricity but in really rural areas such as in the former-Transkei, gas or generators would be used as a power supply